by Theresa Greenwell, International Science
Cooking time: 20 minutes
· 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
· 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
· Salt & pepper or other seasonings (Italian, thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.)
· 1-2 ripe tomatoes sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
· ½ cup low fat mozzarella shredded cheese
· Fresh basil (torn)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel and slice the eggplant.
3. Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of the eggplant. Season slices with salt and pepper or other seasonings.
4. Bake eggplant for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until cooked completely.
5. Slice tomatoes while the eggplant is baking.
6. Top cooked eggplant with tomato slices, fresh basil, and cheese.
7. Return to oven until cheese is melted.
Serving Suggestion: Whole wheat rolls, a green salad and baked chicken.